[PLUG] 'tree' output not in US-ASCII character set

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Apr 21 01:49:52 UTC 2017

On Thu, 20 Apr 2017, Tom wrote:

> Disclaimer: I have no experience with Alpine or urxvt. In fact, I have
> never hear of either and since I have not clue what they might be
> google is not really helpful either.

   Alpine is the successor to pine, the UDub's MUA. urxvt is the
unicode-enabled version of the rxvt virtual terminal.

> With the above out of the way - your Copy & Paste action is most likely
> routed through your Desktop environment. In KDE/Gnome there is setting
> for Languages and Keyboards in their appropriate setting panels as well
> as in the application defaults and your environment (login shell
> LC_all/defaults......). I suspect that you are probably not a
> mainstream guy, so before you say something like fvwm2, motif, CDE,
> ..... LXDE - these have language and keyboard settings too, and some
> precedence for application and environment settings also - which could
> mess up you Copy + Paste outcome.

   Well, I've used Xfce since it first came out and have not before
encountered a character encoding change. Then again, I've not before used
the tree command to produce output to be included in the body of an e-mail
message.

> Some email clients, office and editors have "Paste Special" or "Paste
> as Text" function in menu - you could try those if that helps.

   Those are likely GUI applications. Alpine, like mutt and elm are text
based; the editor I use with alpine is joe.