[PLUG] computer freeze forcing manual reset and reboot question

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 23 02:31:23 UTC 2017

Hello:

I am looking for pointers on how to troubleshoot a thorny problem. This
afternoon at 4:30 pm, my openSuse
Leap 42.2 Linux OS froze up the keyboard, the mouse and left a black
screen.  I tried some of the emergency
keyboard buttons, but they did not respond either.  I had to finally
manual reboot the system by pressing the reset switch.

The monitor detected no input from the graphics card at all, I noticed
while pushing keyboard buttons and turning the
monitor off and on.

I believe that the system was running normally and I only have 4 gigs of
memory loaded in 12 gig memory space, as
the running leds for normal operation were lit.

After the manual reset, I went to the /var/log area, but it was clean,
as if everything was normal.

How does one troubleshoot a problem like this? I am not even sure of
where to start?

Thanks for the assist.

Randall