[PLUG] 'tree' output not in US-ASCII character set

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Apr 23 13:46:19 UTC 2017

On Sat, 22 Apr 2017, King Beowulf wrote:

> I've poked around and discovered that in Slackware 14.2 we have alpine
> 2.20. There seems to be a problem with alpine not properly supporting
> UTF-8 and so defaults to US-ASCII. Unfortunately, when you then try to
> sent line drawing characters, alpine "guesses" and picks a cyrillic char
> set.

Hi Ed,

   This is on my server/workstation running 14.1 and alpine 2.11. Guess the
problem has been in alpine for a while.

> You may have to use Thunderbird or similar as a work around.

   Gak! For me, using a GUI for text such as e-mails is analagous to reading
commic books ... er, graphic novels ... rather than regular text books.

> Also, you can try sending as an attachment (with different extensions).

   Since I've not before had this issue, and it's not likely that I'll need
to send a graphic directory tree again, it's a very low priority. I
discovered that I can export the non-sending message to a file, then cancel
the oritinal message, start a new one and insert the saved text. Et, woila!
UTF-8.

   Thanks much and I'll let you get back to your more important things. :-)

Best regards,