[PLUG] Linux / Android Security?

Cryptomonkeys.org louisk at cryptomonkeys.org
Tue Apr 25 04:25:55 UTC 2017

Unless you want to stay at the surface, I’d suggest you pick a topic to start with and learn from there.
Most computer security topics end up at the network and programming level (some exceptions include social engineering and operational security). You can start with networking, but eventually you’ll need to be able to read and write code if you really want to get into security. You’ll need to understand how things like buffer overflows work, what they look like in code. Be able to answer questions like “how do I convince the compiler to not optimize away my securely erasing memory and then freeing it with a noop”. How to program securely (you’ll also have to split apart the difference between “security = no holes in code” and “security = no leaking information” because they’re not the same).

There are a ton of topics under the umbrella of security.
Security Now! isn’t bad. You may also want to check out ‘Paul’s security weekly’, This week in Law, Packet pushers, Risky Biz, DtSR (Down the Security Rabbit Hole), The Social-Engineer podcast. There are probably others, but thats a reasonable start off the top of my head.

You may want to get on an OpenBSD mailing list. You can learn a lot there.

Lastly, walking away with more questions than answers is a good sign. It means you still have things to learn. Enjoy that feeling, and dig in.