[PLUG] /tmp/pgp-*

David Barr dafydd at dafydd.com
Tue Aug 1 17:38:51 UTC 2017

> On Aug 1, 2017, at 10:29 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 1 Aug 2017, David Barr wrote:
>
>> I usually see a gpg-agent automatically launched when someone does a shell
>> login to a host. At that point, gpg-agent is launched through
>> .bash-profile or .bashrc, so something in that stack. So...
>
> David,
>
>   Interesting. It's not explicitly called in either of these files.
>
>> - Are you the only person to connect to this host?
>
>   Yes.
>
>> - Could a part of your start up be launching the gpg-agent?
>
>   I suppose.
>
>> - Have you looked at the process list ("ps -ef" or "ps -a") to see if a
>> - gpg-agent is running?
>
>   Yes. There are many such processes in various stages of suspension. For
> example:
>
> 31409 ?        Ss     0:30 /usr/bin/gpg-agent --sh --daemon --write-env-file
> /home/rshepard/.cache/gpg-agent-info
>
>   No question that something is invoking it, but still no clue what or why.
> Having many such processes is not an issue, my interest is clearing /tmp/ of
> these small subdirectories now and then.

You might find the invocation scripts in /etc/bashrc, /etc/profile, or /etc/profile.d/*, which are general to all users on the host. In principle, the agent should die when you log out, but I've seen some folks out in Google land add explicit kills to .bash_logout.

In any case, gpg-agent processes with a parent PID of 1 have been abandoned and can be killed. Any /tmp/gpg-* directory older than the last time you logged out can be deleted.

Cheers!
David

--

David - Offbeat		http://pgp.mit.edu/
dafydd - Online		0xda3f18449337d6b5

The most dangerous phrase is, 'We've always done it this way.' –RADM Grace Hopper