[PLUG] Fonts not visible to upgraded LibreOffice-5.4.0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 4 22:37:09 UTC 2017

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017, King Beowulf wrote:

> Are these fonts the old style adobe type 1 or truetype (TTF) or opentype
> (OTF)? LO dropped support for type 1 and this, I suspect, may be the
> reason.

Ed,

   Your advice, please. Until I get a bunch of paying projects producing a
predictable revenue stream that is the focus of my attention and computers
have to take a back seat. This means I'll keep using this older 32-bit
server/workstation running Slackware-14.1 for a while. I suppose I can
upgrade it to 14.2, but if I hit a glitch (as I did with the 32-bit Dell
Latitude 2100) I'm S.O.L. Can't afford that.

   My only uses of LO are Writer to import Wurd documents and save them as
.odt documents (occasionally to translate the other way when I must provide
a processed word document to a Windows user), and Calc for spreadsheets. I
don't use any of the other stuff.

   I can replace the spreadsheet with gnumeric (and accept its learning
curve), but it requires gtk+3.0 >= 3.8.7, and I have 3.8.2 installed here.
This package is part of the distribution; I can get gtk+3-3.18.9-i586-1 from
the 14.2 source at OSU and build it here. From your experience might I have
any conflicts with existing software that could not be fixed with a soft
link?

   If I can find a replacement word processor that accommodates M$ Word docs
(bi-directionally) and supports the fonts I've used for the past 20 years
I'll just drop all of LO and be done with it. Any suggestions on this one?

TIA,