[PLUG] Fonts not visible to upgraded LibreOffice-5.4.0

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Aug 4 23:31:58 UTC 2017

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017, John Jason Jordan wrote:

> I wonder if it was because Type 1 technology is owned by Adobe, not open
> source. But then, if memory serves, TrueType was cooked up by Apple and/or
> Microsoft to get around the Type 1 monopoly held by Adobe, so is TT not
> also closed source? And later didn't Adobe and Microsoft collaborate on
> creating OTF?

   There might be tools that convert font files from one foundary's format to
another, but it can be a real hassle. I tried this with TeX fonts years ago
and finally gave up and used the default 'computer modern' ones. Since then,
the LyX devs have added support for many more foundaries and fonts and it's
all really stable.