[PLUG] Ethernet connection dropping

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Aug 6 15:29:44 UTC 2017

On 08/05/2017 11:56 PM, Russell Senior wrote:
> "Dick" == Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> writes:
>
> Dick> Two times over the last three days my machine has dropped its
> Dick> Ethernet connection. It doesn't say it's dropped, but I can't see
> Dick> beyond the machine, not even other machines in the house. Using
> Dick> the widget on the top bar on the Ubuntu MATE 16.04 screen I
> Dick> manually drop and then reconnect, and all is well again.
>
> Dick> I've never had this happen on other machines running various
> Dick> versions of Ubuntu. Any ideas on where to look to see why the
> Dick> connection is dropping?
>
> Do you still have a dhcp lease?  That is, is there a reasonable ip
> address attached to the interface?  Do you have a link?  When you say
> "dropped" does that mean to anywhere?  Do you have a default route?

Good questions. Next time it happens I'll check those. And yes,
"dropped" does mean to anywhere. I have two other machines on my desk
that it cannot see. They all go through the same switch to get to the
router. I didn't check both, but I had no trouble getting out to the
Internet with one of them.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens