[PLUG] Libre Office Writer Version: 5.1.6.2 and curly quotes

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Aug 7 19:46:39 UTC 2017

On Mon, 7 Aug 2017, Paul DeStefano wrote:

> I can't resist chiming in here.  I also vote for LaTeX; it's amazing.  I
> think it's a steep learning curve, but I also think it will payed off for
> most people. I started teaching myself two years ago and I love it. Feel
> free to contact me if you want to try.

Paul,

   I used LaTex in emacs until I discoverd LyX <http://www.lyx.org>. You'll
still need to write some LaTeX code (e.g., for /vspace{} and /hspace{}) but
for most things the menus or icons save remembering all the tag syntax.

> LaTeX can be tricky, but it also does *all* the typesetting.  That's the
> idea: you focus on expressing your ideas, let the computer make the
> document.

   Yes. The philosophy is to focus on content and let the styles and classes
do the presentation.

> Plus, if you have used LO Presentation, before, then you know you cannot
> use your .odp file in PowerPoint at a conference or something--it never
> works right.  But you can make PDF work on *any* computer.

   I've used the beamer class for years. Again, you focus on the content and
let the application set up the look and feel for you. Want to change color
or overall appearance? Change one variable in the preamble and you're done.

   BTW, for anyone who needs a CV or resume take a close look at the
modernCV style. It's outstanding.

> Regarding citations/reference, I want to plug Calibre.

   In addition to JabRef and Callibre, there's RIS and at least a half-dozen
more reference databases for linux.