[PLUG] 16.04.3 VGA Graphic display stopped working

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:38:15 UTC 2017

On 08/05/2017 09:04 PM, Alan wrote:
> On Fri, 2017-08-04 at 10:04 -0700, Bill Morita wrote:
>> 16.04.3 VGA Graphic display stopped working.
>> Even a No-Machine connection does not seem to work.
>>
>> Ctrl-Alt-F1  does get me a simple text terminal.
>>
>> Anybody else seen this ?
>>
>> It has happened on both my systems.
>> Currently booting to an older kernel to operated.
>>

> What video card? What does lspci show?

Bill

More importantly, what does lsmod show?  You have terminal output so the
card is working (hence nothing new in lspci). if the nouveau (Mesa,
F/OSS) or nvidia (proprietary) modules are not loaded...

Check:

/var/log/Xorg.0.log

for clues.  Did you update the kernel just before you lost the X
display?  If using the proprietary binary nvidia blob, the kernel module
is tied to a particular kernel version/release. After kernel update, you
have to recompile the nvidia module kernel interface.

Ubuntu and derivatives have a nasty habit of automatically updating the
kernel on a whim, resulting in the death of proprietary drivers.

-Ed