[PLUG] ENU,Inc R.I.P.

Edward Koenig kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 18:08:08 UTC 2017

On Aug 12, 2017, at 7:43 PM, Russell Senior <russell at personaltelco.net> wrote:

> After noticing a disturbing lack of stock on the ENU,Inc website a few
> weeks ago, I happened to be in the neighborhood of the 122nd store
> (while dropping off plastic at the Far West Fiber), and stopped to
> check.  There was a sign on the door saying their last day is August 18,
> and a short note:
>
>  GOING OUT OF BUSINESS
>
>  ENU is sad to announce that we are going out of business.

Sigh.  Another one bites the dust.  I've bought a few bits and pieces there in the 10 yrs since I moved to the area. 10-15 min drive a damn sight better than to fry's.

> ENU, while still an annoying 15-20 minute drive from my house, has been
> my go-to source for emergency computer parts (particularly hard disks)
> for the last couple decades.  I am sad to see them go.
>
> Does anyone have favorite, local alternatives that aren't Fry's and Best Buy?

I think we are doomed. Fry's is ok if I happen t be driving by and need a stretch o' the legs (work entails quite a few trips down I-5), and I really don't like Best Buy that much anymore. Although many of us (in PLUG) shop at the smaller local shops, there are just not enough of us left to keep them in business.  Online with same day shipping (often free) is just too tempting.

I really do miss the days browsing the local shops for part to build my own boxes.

-Ed