[PLUG] Cheap printer for Raspberry Pi idea

Dave W7DAL at comcast.net
Mon Aug 21 02:35:23 UTC 2017

http://lists.pdxlinux.org/pipermail/plug/2017-August/087027.html

Here's a follow-up report:

/I ordered an HP Deskjet 1112 from Amazon for this application. It claims //
//to have full support for Linux Debian (RPi?) and Mint via USB. For $29
it's //
//worth a try. If it works, it should be a perfect small addition to a //
//stand-alone RPi student learning station.//
/

Received the HP Deskjet 1112 and installed it first in Windows 7 to make
sure it worked. Then installed it to a Raspberry Pi 3B.

The software installation went mostly smoothly, carefully following the
detailed instructions and accepting the defaults found at:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/install/index.html

They are close enough. (You do NOT have to worry about editing some ???
file mentioned. It's not on the RPi.)

The only glitch was the install requires a root/superuser password. If I
had one it apparently didn't like it so I added *sudo passwd root* and
made "*root*" the password. That worked. In the future I'll do up front
before beginning the software install to get it out of the way.

I'm quite pleased with the results. For the price, it is a lot of
printer; quick, and excellent quality. But the HP software isn't
perfect. I can't get it to print the last page first despite a tab to
that effect, and it doesn't print footers despite showing them on the
screen. Since the printed text appears to be a little larger than it
should that probably explains the missing footers. I may be doing
something wrong, but again, for $29, and having an easy RPi3 Install,
this ain't bad.

Will also be installing the 1112 to a Linux MINT machine just to wring
it out some more and see what happens. Hope this helps someone.