[PLUG] I'm shopping for hardware, what about Lenovo?

Tomas Kuchta tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 06:29:17 UTC 2017

I can vouch for Thinkpads, durable, reliable, serviceable, Linux just
works, great keyboard, touchpad 3x real buttons, Ethernet port,
DisplayPort,  parts are available and cheap, no nonsense good hardware.

Thinkpads had bad patch around Tx40 models 2-3 years ago - they went with
plastic chassis and skipped real touchpad buttons, used single channel RAM,
only 2x USB - thankfully they walked that back.

I got T470 to daughter 3rd year in university a few months ago - fantastic,
sturdy laptop.

Samsung 960 NVMe SSDs are about 3-4x faster than SATA. Other brands
probably 2x-ish.

I bought the laptop with cheap HDD and tried both SATA and NVMe. I could
not see real speed difference, beside synthetic tests like read/write
to/from /dev/null/zero respectively - I ended up buying bigger SATA SSD
rather than smaller/faster NVMe... Not sure what brand SSDs Lenovo puts in.

Hope it helps,
Tomas

On Aug 23, 2017 5:56 PM, "Vedanta Teacher" <orevedantateacher at gmail.com>