[PLUG] I'm shopping for hardware, what about Lenovo?

Bill Weiss pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us
Thu Aug 24 20:45:32 UTC 2017

Bill Weiss(pdxlinux at houdini.spum.us)@Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 06:12:25PM +0000:
> Joe Shisei Niski(joeniski at gmail.com)@Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 09:51:48AM -0700:
> >
> > On 08/23/2017 07:16 PM, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > > On Wed, 23 Aug 2017 17:53:49 -0700
> > > Vedanta Teacher <orevedantateacher at gmail.com> dijo:

> > > Thinkpads are famous for reliability and Linux compatibility. But you
> > > should also check out the offerings from System76.
> >      Many thumbs up to System76 for for nice turnkey Linux laptops,
> > responsive pre-sale staff willing and ready to answer questions, and
> > good service. I reccomend that if you go this route , do a little
> > research onthe OEM of the system ad  - I've purchased Clevo  (also sold
> > as Sager and Alienware) hardware from them and never had a problem. Not
> > sure what they're selling these days.
>
> I cannot more strongly recommend against System76.
>
> At my previous company we used them for desktops and laptops for a few
> years. After a number of bad hardware problems (example: three desktops in
> a row had their power supplies catch fire. Not figuratively, actual smoke
> and fire) and their resulting lack of ability to fix those things (one of
> those desktops was in their hands for more than a month for repairs,
> during which we had to just buy another computer for that user so they
> could work) I talked to the management to see what we could do about it
> and the answer was "eh, we think it's probably a problem on your side."[1]
> We put all the System76 machines on Craigslist and bought Dells to replace
> them, which were fine.
>
> I hear pretty good things about Clevo/Sager, though if you go that route
> you're the support and warranty department :) You can get replacement
> parts cheap enough, but not super quick. Consider it buying a machine
> built from NewEgg and you'll be fine.

I forgot my [1] footnote: we had 100 people in that office, most with
desktops. We had 3 power supply fires. Guess what the common thing among
them was? We also had no other weird power issues: no monitors or TVs
getting sad, no chargers being grumpy, etc. Also, all three of those
machines had the same maker/model power supply.

--
Bill Weiss