[PLUG] Linux Journal magazine is no more

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Fri Dec 1 23:01:43 UTC 2017

On Fri, 1 Dec 2017 14:11:53 -0800
Tomas Kuchta <tomas.kuchta.lists at gmail.com> dijo:

>For those who remember the experience of actually reading a magazine
>front to back, rather than just flicking pages full of shiny
>advertisement - another one bites the dust.
>
>So long Linux Journal

House remodeling required moving things, sorting though it to discard
tons of stuff that is no longer needed. But I saved one item: May/June
2000 issue of Maximum Linux, featuring reviews of Corel Linux,
Slackware 7.0 and WordPerfect 8.0, plus two CDs containing Storm Linux
2000 and Mandrake 7.0.

Corel Linux was my first venture into Linux. For those who are too new
to Linux to have heard of it, Corel Corporation, whose main program was
CorelDRAW!, by 2000 had added Corel Photopaint, and had acquired
Ventura Publisher and the WordPerfect Suite. Their avowed plan was to
develop Corel Linux and then have all these programs running on it.
Unfortunately, their method was to work with WineHQ to get them all
running under Wine. They got as far as CorelDRAW, Photopaint and
WordPerfect, but financial difficulties forced them to abandon getting
Ventura Publisher working.

I was heavily into DTP at the time and I was eager to abandon
QuakXPress, PageMaker, and most of all, Windows and MS Office. I eagerly
bought Corel Linux and all the Corel programs and installed them on my
previous computer, sitting unused. Sadly, Michael Cowpland (head
of Corel Corp.) was a genius at user interfaces, and an utter klutz at
getting good code. Getting X and Wine to run for more than a couple
hours without crashing was usually impossible. Eventually I had to give
up and continue my obeisance to the evil empire.

If anyone collects old Linux magazines I would be happy to give this
copy to someone who would appreciate it. :)