[PLUG] Converting audio files

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sat Dec 2 23:11:45 UTC 2017

   I bought a small digital voice recorder which saves files in .wav format.
I found a script to convert from .wav to .mp3, but this device apparently
has a non-standard format (0x0011).

   Another web search found Sound eXchanger (SoX) which will not only change
wav formats but convert among many different types. Unfortunately, the build
script available at SlackBuilds.org does not compile with mp2 and mp3
support (I've written the maintainer about this). But, ...

   Until I get sox working to convert from .wav to .mp3 another search taught
me that the 'play' capability within sox produces sounds from .wav files on
linux. This is an interim solution. Are there other audio format converters
that I might try on these files?

   On a related issue, /var/log/messages shows that the recorder is seen as
the SCSI disk /dev/sdb. I have an entry in /etc/fstab for my 3T external
hard drive (ext3 file system) which the kernel sees as /dev/sdb assigned to
/mnt/hd/. Root can mount the vfat file system recorder on /mnt/hd/; can two
devices (with different file systems) be listed in /etc/fstab to be mounted
on the same mount point?