[PLUG] Converting audio files

Dale Snell ddsnell at frontier.com
Sat Dec 2 23:47:45 UTC 2017

On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:11:45 -0800 (PST), in message
alpine.LNX.2.20.1712021502330.21850 at salmo.appl-ecosys.com, Rich Shepard
wrote:

>    I bought a small digital voice recorder which saves files in .wav
> format. I found a script to convert from .wav to .mp3, but this
> device apparently has a non-standard format (0x0011).
>
>    Another web search found Sound eXchanger (SoX) which will not only
> change wav formats but convert among many different types.
> Unfortunately, the build script available at SlackBuilds.org does not
> compile with mp2 and mp3 support (I've written the maintainer about
> this). But, ...
>
>    Until I get sox working to convert from .wav to .mp3 another
> search taught me that the 'play' capability within sox produces
> sounds from .wav files on linux. This is an interim solution. Are
> there other audio format converters that I might try on these files?

Audacity has always worked well for me when it comes to converting
sound files.  FFMPEG is pretty good at conversions, too.

>    On a related issue, /var/log/messages shows that the recorder is
> seen as the SCSI disk /dev/sdb. I have an entry in /etc/fstab for my
> 3T external hard drive (ext3 file system) which the kernel sees
> as /dev/sdb assigned to /mnt/hd/. Root can mount the vfat file system
> recorder on /mnt/hd/; can two devices (with different file systems)
> be listed in /etc/fstab to be mounted on the same mount point?

Give your 3TB hard drive a label, and use that label in fstab to
reference the drive when mounting it.  Or you could use a UUID,
but those are much longer to type.  :-)  The kernel assigns drive
locations on a first-come first-served basis, so using a label of
some sort is much more reliable than a drive location.

Hope this helps.

--Dale

--
Imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the
usual way.  This happens to us all the time with computers, and