[PLUG] Converting audio files

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sun Dec 3 21:05:54 UTC 2017

On 12/03/2017 11:55 AM, Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Sun, 3 Dec 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
>> Audacity translated the file from .wav to .mp3. I'll look to see if it
>> supports the ogg flavors (I suspect so). If not, ffmpeg will do the job.
>
>   Yes, audacity-2.1.3 exports to ogg vorbis.
>
> Rich

mp3 patent expired in May 2017.  Lame and ffmpeg are now part of
Slackware-current (15.0 "real soon now").

ogg vorbis is OK, but for audio fidelity I prefer FLAC, lossless
compression, unless I need to save space.  Every linux distro on the
planet and elsewhere can encode/decode flac.  A few portable players
have been adding it as well.
TIP: iOS 11 added FLAC support.  Most Android devices as well since 3.1.

mp3 vs ogg: Compression rates are about the same.  mp3 provides superior
audio at higher bitrate (>128 kbps) and when using VBR encoding.

opus/speex are good for VOIP applications, not so much for archival needs.

audacity is my "go-to' for odd formats when I can't seem to figure out
what WAV file a stupid cheap device generates.

-Ed

PS:
BTW, you may have noticed this earlier, but ffmpeg has a complex command
line, and your earlier ffmpeg post was in error.

e.g.
https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Encode/MP3

The ffmpg an page can be hard to follow.  the wiki has lots of good
explanations and examples.  Note that to support all formats ffmpeg can
handle, appropriate adjustments to the buildscript are needed along with
install a whole heck of a lot of codecs.