[PLUG] Mount cifs share from fstab.

michael michael at robinson-west.com
Mon Dec 4 23:36:29 UTC 2017

On 2017-12-04 17:00, David wrote:
> On 12/04/2017 02:33 PM, michael wrote:
>> I have it working.  I don't want the password for the owner of the
>> share in plain text in a file though.  Creating
>> /home/pi/.smbpasswd with the contents:
>> username=Test
>> password=password
>> domain=somedomain
>> and chmod 600 isn't good enough.
>>
>> The password should be salted in this file even if it is password!
>>
>> Is there a simple way to use an smbpasswd file properly salted without
>> implementing a full samba server?
>
> The proper tool that I know of is "smbpasswd" as an executable, which
> is part of the samba-common-bin package on my system (Debian).
>
> It may have dependencies which includes a full smb server (which I
> run), so this may not be helpful information.
>
> dafr

I am most concerned about the password having to be in plaintext when
transmitted over the network.  Even if
there is a way without a full samba server deployment to have the
password sent in encrypted form over the
network, that would be great.  The server is probably the latest
incarnation of Windows server.  I don't
like the idea of having to have a Linux user for every Windows user
either.