[PLUG] Can't log in to D-Link DIR-860L (with OpenWRT)

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Dec 8 19:54:39 UTC 2017

I remember seeing the password with you, but I don't remember to what. Let
me figure out wtf I did, and we will get it recovered for you.

On Dec 8, 2017 11:48 AM, "John Jason Jordan" <johnxj at gmx.com> wrote:

My DIR-860l that Russell flashed for me so it would work with
CwenturyLink gigabit fiber is working fine, but logging in to the admin
page is not working. The login page comes up with the username as root
and a password. I think the password is supplied by Firefox that saved
it from some previous login.* In any event it does not work, so I tried
supplying 'admin,' 'Admin,' 'jjj,' 'JJJ,' and several other
possibilities. For the password I tried leaving it blank, or any of
several variants that I use for devices, plus I tried a nonsense
password that was written on the label on the side of the device. The
label also said:

DIR-860L
P/N BIR860LLNA ... B1
MAC 48:EE:0C:68:C2:F0
Password **********
Mydlink No.: *********

Searching on support pages reveals that the username is supposed to be
'admin' or 'Admin' with a blank password, but they all assume the
default D-Link firmware, not OpenWRT. I didn't check for it but I also
assume there is a button on the device to be actuated with a paper clip
to reset the device, but that might wipe out OpenWRT. I found the
OpenWRT web page, but no help there.

The login page also has a Reset button, but it appears to do nothing.

*Firefox helpfully saves passwords, but some web pages won't accept the
password if it is supplied by Firefox, e.g., PayPal and my bank, among
others. I have to manually type in the password each time.

And why would I want to log in to the admin page if it is working fine?
Because I have a Brother laser printer that is giving me grief and I
failed to put a label on it with its IP address (which is my normal
practice for printers).

Any suggestions welcome. :)