[PLUG] Another SpiritOne Question

John Jason Jordan johnxj at gmx.com
Mon Dec 11 03:56:42 UTC 2017

On Sun, 10 Dec 2017 16:17:16 -0800
Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com> dijo:

>Does anyone have experience with Century Link as an ISP?

I signed up for their gigabit fiber service a few months ago. So far
everything is fine. However, a few points to consider:

1) Don't ever sign up with someone who comes to your door or over the
net. You don't get the good deals unless you go to their office. (For
me that is their office in Hollywood.)

2) Their installers are great people, knowledgeable and they do a good
job.

3) Their weak point is billing, which their staff at Hollywood will
readily admit. They had to fix my bill three times, but now it is
finally working properly. In fixing the bill they were cheerful,
apologetic, and easy to deal with.

4) For my gigabit service I could get $10 off if I agreed to automatic
billing. But this means that they can charge me whatever, so I
declined. Instead, I set up auto bill-pay with my bank. And I got a
guarantee of a discounted amount for two years; afterwards it just
about doubles. Check out the fine print in your agreement.

5) They guarantee that you will get at least 85% of what you are paying
for. For my gigabit service that means at least 850 mbps. I don't get
quite that much, but I can't complain because I'm not using all their
equipment. What I get is plenty good enough. And there is more - unlike
Comcast there are no data caps at all, either up or down, and you get
the same speed up as down.

6) If you get fiber be advised that fiber is not as forgiving as
copper. A kink in the line and you are dead. I learned this the hard
way. But the installer guy who came out to fix it did not put it down
as a repair, so it didn't cost me anything. Did I mention that their
installers are cool people?