[PLUG] dsl woes

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Fri Dec 15 01:55:13 UTC 2017

On Dec 14, 2017 17:41, "Bob Vinisky" <bob at cherrycreekdaffodils.com> wrote:

> > Okay, that's the WAN side of your router, what is the LAN network on
> > your router.  If it is 192.168.1.x also, then BOOM.
>
> Nope - the LAN side uses 192.168.107.xxx8 (I know, but they say you can
> pick any number in the 192.168 area, so I did) - - (so there).

Okay, thanks.

> It appears Frontier now wants all devices either plugged into one of their
> 4 available Ethernet ports, or connect wirelessly, AND use their router.
> I’m not really wanting to do that for a number of reasons. A computer
> connected directly to the dal modem works. That same computer going through
> the LAN to the router, then to the dal modem will not work. Their “tech”
> folks tell me that’s all I can do. I can’t believe this cannot be overcome,
> but am running out of ideas

That makes no sense.  They can't see past your router.  Your router
pretends to be all the devices on your LAN.  Does your computer on the LAN
have a 192.168.107.x address?

The other thing is that Frontier (afaik) uses PPPoE for authentication.
That would be running on their modem.  As long as your Frontier credentials
are programmed in, you should be fine.  Are they?  You switched from
Aracnet/SpiritOne how long ago?  Maybe this is still part of the transition?