[PLUG] Need an OLD style BASIC

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Dec 15 15:29:00 UTC 2017

On 12/15/2017 08:47 AM, John Sechrest wrote:
> What is the goal of the basic?

Chuckle. I intentionally capitalized BASIC to be recognized as an acronym.

> Just dinking around?

BASIC is the appropriate tool. E.G. it's silly and often counter
productive to use a cannon for an annoying mosquito.

> Or creating value of some kind?

Value for me.

> Or solving some particular problem?

Actually a loosely defined set of problems.
I've often wished for BASIC to write a simple script.
There are a proliferate plethora of corpulent Basic's out there.

I know there are tools aimed at scripts. HOWEVER I know and am
comfortable with { "new" <> "better" }

> The default language that I point purple to is JavaScript, since it is so
> ubiquitous and since it solves many problems in the default user interface
> these days.
>
> It looks like there are three versions of basic transpired to JavaScript
>
> https://github.com/jashkenas/CoffeeScript/wiki/List-of-languages-that-compile-to-JS
>
> So JavaScript has some versitility

I avoid Java and JavaScript.
95% of what I do could easily be done on a 64k 8080 machine.
[I do avail myself of the capabilities of my 64bit GHz processor with an
attached 1TB external drive when appropriate.

IOW, the suitable tool for my needs is a tack hammer not a sledgehammer.

smaller is *BETTER*!