[PLUG] com port in guest to usb in host (virtual box)

Russell Senior russell at personaltelco.net
Sun Dec 17 00:10:47 UTC 2017

On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Denis Heidtmann
<denis.heidtmann at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, Russell, I thought of that.  I first need to install the driver for
> the usb-serial device, recall how I did that on the laptop, and try to do
> it the same way.  But I will pursue that when I get access to the desktop.
>
> Is there a line on the usb that should be bouncing up and down when RXD  is
> bouncing?  BTW, I notice that the designations rx/tx seem to switch
> depending on which instrument the terms are referred to.  The schematic I
> have clearly shows that the designation RXD applies to the data line out of
> the dmm.  TXD is the line sending stuff into the dmm.  I am assuming that
> this is OK since I clearly see 10 groups of pulses out of the dmm when I
> send the command --samples 10.

Yeah, no one ever seems to specify what they mean by TX and RX, or at
least not in a way I comprehend.  I have found the most reliable thing
is to just try it one way (almost at random), and if that doesn't
work, reverse and try again.  Obviously TX on one side of a UART
should connect to RX on the other side.  Some labelling seems to be to
"hey, connect TX here!" which suggests that it is RX.  Or maybe the
reverse.  Anyway, I have yet to damage anything perceptibly with the
try-swap-try dance.