[PLUG] Presentation software w/LCD projector

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Dec 18 18:46:40 UTC 2017

   Many of us use visuals (a.k.a. 'slides') with our presentations. Most PDF
display tools used to work well; e.g., xpdf and mupdf. Current versions not
so well. I've found two tools that are specific for presentations: pdfpc and
impressive.

   pdfpc is designed for two monitors: one for the presenter and one for the
audience. On a single monitor using the '-s' startup option sets the display
in 'audience' mode. When my LCD projector is connected to a laptop no
startup option presents only the 'audience' mode, nor puts that mode on the
projector and the presenter mode on the laptop. Has anyone used pdfpc and
found differently? If so, I'd like to learn what option(s) you used.

   Impressive certainly is. It will display many graphic formats in addition
to PDFs. It has a single display mode; presenter and audience see the same
thing. It also has various fades which, by default, it cycles through as the
slides are changed. I've downloaded the doc to learn how to control this. If
you want to add 'pretty' to presentations the fades are a nice way to do
this. I don't think they're appropriate for all situations.

   Yes, other tools are available, but for my purposes and my portables and
lcd projector impressive will be my new presentation tool.