[PLUG] Am I asking the "right question"

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Thu Dec 28 14:55:07 UTC 2017

On 12/26/2017 12:45 PM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> On 12/26/2017 10:48 AM, Carl Karsten wrote:
> [snip]
>>

>> https://www.debian.org/releases/potato/i386/ch-init-config.en.html
>> "dbootstrap is the name of the program which is run after you have booted
>> into the installation system. It is responsible for initial system
>> configuration and the installation of the ``base system''. "

I don't find "dbootstrap" in current Debian docs. However the phrasing
is helping to reorganizing my thought patterns.

>> Here is something close.
>> It contains just what is needed to install a minimal system, (what it
>> sounds like you want)
>> and then it's
>> the late_command does stuff you might want too:
>> apt install git ansible
>> git clone playbook
>> ansible ... which installs and configures the apps needed to make videos.
>>
>> This script creates a bootable usb stick based on a 58M
>> hd-media/boot.img.gz
>> https://github.com/CarlFK/video-stack-deploy/blob/nbpy/scripts/mk_usb_installer.sh
>>
>> Most of the script is managing the ansible parameters.
>
> I'll have to spend some time with ansible to see what its goals and how
> the mesh with my mental image of my goals and the path to accomplish them.

Your post caused me to modify my search terms.
That found recent debootstrap tutorial and reminded me of "dead ends(?)"
from my past "debootstrap" searches. I've a reading assignment that I
won't be able to start until next week."

Thank you.