[PLUG] "Installing" the Debian installer - How?

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Tue Feb 21 11:41:24 UTC 2017

On 02/20/2017 01:22 PM, Tom wrote:
> As to your question about: "The installer should be in/on its own
> partition of the hard disk and recognizable to GRUB2" :
 >
> That certainly can be done to run the installer. However, the installer
> would not be able to repartition the disk reliably without destroying
> self. That is the reason why the installation comes from different
> source than your disk to be installed on.

I don't see how where the code being executed resides having any influence on
how efficiently a careless operator may destroy an existing installation. The
author(s) of the Ubuntu-centric article I referenced saw no such problem.

> About your repeated installations and learning: [snip]

I eliminated FAI as an approach early on as it:
1. requires multiple machines.
2. has no apparent advantage over my current practice.

Similarly I did not follow suggestions to use a VM as it:
1. adds learning an additional technology and its learning curve.
2. has no apparent advantage over my current practice.

One thing that may not be apparent in this thread is this laptop is configured
for multi-booting and hosts [for want of a better word] my "production machine"
and up to four independent test instances of Debian Jessie.

> As about your direct ISO file usage - Please realize that .iso is disk
> image file format, not a file system where you can access and execute
> individual files.

<chuckle>That basically was the point of my post.
Perhaps my subject line could have been "How to translate iso-hybrid to extN?"
That phraseology has its own problems. HOWEVER, phrasing it that way reminds me
of an {on the surface} unrelated thread from ~2 years ago on another forum. It
may not yield a solution to my current problem but should give me guidance to
better question. There will be a delay there are 150+ messages to review :}