[PLUG] boot filled

David Barr dafydd at dafydd.com
Fri Feb 24 18:58:50 UTC 2017

> On Feb 24, 2017, at 10:19 AM, Tony Schlemmer <aschlemm at comcast.net> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 2017-02-24 at 09:36 -0800, David wrote:
>> On 02/24/2017 07:57 AM, Denis Heidtmann wrote:
>>>
>>> The last time this happened Tomas told me what to do, but I did not
>>> write
>>> it down and my mind is a sieve.  What is the solution?  There are 9
>>> archived images.  How do I safely throw out the older ones?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Denis
>> Howdy.
>>
>> You don't provide quite enough information, but I can get you close
>> enough that you should be able to figure it out from there.
>>
>> If you have a RH based system, you will want to use yum to remove the
>> oldest one or two kernel RPMs. I'd suggest starting with find out
>> your current kernel release, and then listing which kernel images are
>> installed:
>>
>> $ uname -r # so you know what you can't remove
>> $ rpm -qa | grep kernel-[2-4]
>> $ sudo yum remove ${package name from above}
>>
>> If you are using a Debian based system, it's similar:
>>
>> $ uname -r # so you know what you can't remove
>> $ dpkg -l linux-image* | grep ^i
>> $ sudo apt-get remove ${package name from above}
>>
>> You just want to be sure to leave your current running kernel and the
>> next youngest version (IMO), and the rest can be removed to free up
>> space in /boot.
>>
>> dafr
>
> I made the mistake one time of removing the active kernel under Ubuntu
> so I had to create a DVD recovery disk. With Ubuntu I use the Synaptic
> Package manager to uninstall old kernel images since I had a limited
> about of space in my boot partition. I have a new laptop that I bought
> in October so I have not had to delete any Kernels right now.

I've had the exact same problem, in the past. So, I wrote a fix...

https://github.com/dafydd2277/systemAdmin/blob/master/scripting/52_removeOldKernels.sh

Cheers!
dafydd

--

David - Offbeat		http://pgp.mit.edu/
dafydd - Online		0xda3f18449337d6b5

Dr. Viktor Frankenstein entered into a body building competition
only to find he has seriously misunderstood the objective.