[PLUG] question on Mozilla Firefox holding up Yast2

logical american website.reader3 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 05:34:55 UTC 2017

On 2/25/2017 2:48 PM, Tom wrote:
> I still do not think that what you see is Firefox related.
It is not directly related, I now have discovered.  I wish I had
snapshotted the message at the time it happened, it indicated that yast2
task was blocked, but now I believe this was a gnome systemd ?
intercepted popup.
> Are you trying to use Yast2 remotely from another machine? If so, how
> do you log in? Ssh/VNC/.....?
No, this was yast2 on the same machine. I logged in the normal login in
level 5.
> To give you head start for further follow up, here is little Yast2
> trivia if you run on local machine:
>    * Yast2 needs to be started as root
yes
>    * on SuSE, sudo does not forward X traffic, so running: sudo yast2
>      will start Yast2 in text (ncurses) mode. You might not like that.
actually it failed.
>    * To get Yast2 to come in X GUI, use following commands:
>      - become root: su
>     - start Yast2: yast2
This failed too, both with the same failure:

[user at linux /tmp]$ sudo yast2
root's password:
No protocol specified
QXcbConnection: Could not connect to display :0
/usr/sbin/yast2: line 440:   570 Aborted                 $y2ccbin
$Y2UI_ARGS "$@"

> If you need to run yast on remote machine and want X GUI, The best way
> is to use VNC.
> Hope it helps, Tomas
I have used VNC, it works well.

I appreciate the help.  Thanks for the comments, I hope what I have
shared here helps?

Randall