[PLUG] T430 fan problem under Debian but not Windows

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sun Jan 1 10:54:25 UTC 2017

On 1/1/2017 1:26 AM, Tom wrote:
> For what it is worth it, I have run (and still do) various versions of
> openSuSE and Knoppix on T430 without any strange fan control problems.
> The only fan issue I have encountered was noise from fan's dead
> bearings after heavy 3 years use, resolved by replacing the
> fan/heatsink assembly.
> I'd think, that you could try to install or run live Ubuntu (because it
> is close to Debian) and see what controls the fan, trace it to a
> package or kernel module and install it on your Debian copy.
> Scrolling through lsmod output I see following modules (smells like fan
> related) loaded: thinkpad_acpi, thermal and various i2c modules maybe
> used to control the fan's PWM
> -Tomas

You jolted me into thinking. Somewhere I have a Debian Live MATE
DVD. That should be configured to _safely_ run any machine. I
have a T43 as a dedicated Windows machine with a soundly audible
fan. I'll run it there first and then I'll have a comparison point.

Now where did I put that DVD ;)

Thank you.