[PLUG] Comcast speed upgrade

Bill Barry wabarry at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 05:30:32 UTC 2017

On Jan 6, 2017 11:52 PM, "Dick Steffens" <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:

An email arrived this afternoon from xfinity (Comcast) telling me that
they are upping my speed from 75 Mbps to "up to 100 Mbps" after I
reboot. These are download speeds. They provided directions:

1.

Shut down your computer &
unplug your modem from the outlet

2.

Wait 10 seconds, then plug your modem back in

3.

Wait 30 seconds, then turn your computer back on

Before going through that process I ran the test at speedtest.net on two
machines in the house:

Machine Ping      Download     Upload
Wife's Win97     17 ms     91.29 Mbps    6.1  Mbps
My Ubuntu 14.04  20 ms    119.02 Mbps    6.18 Mbps

I ran mine a second time and got

                   9 ms    119.62 Mbps    9.19 Mbps

So, without shutting anything down I get better than promised speed on
my machine, and close to it on my wife's machine.

Is there likely to be any change if I shut down my router, their cable
modem, and start them back up?

Maybe your router had already rebooted since the upgrades for other reasons
and your tests are just showing the upgraded speeds?

Bill