[PLUG] Comcast speed upgrade

Dick Steffens dick at dicksteffens.com
Sun Jan 8 06:07:04 UTC 2017

On 01/07/2017 09:30 PM, Bill Barry wrote:
> On Jan 6, 2017 11:52 PM, "Dick Steffens" <dick at dicksteffens.com> wrote:
>
> An email arrived this afternoon from xfinity (Comcast) telling me that
> they are upping my speed from 75 Mbps to "up to 100 Mbps" after I
> reboot. These are download speeds. They provided directions:
>

> 1.
>
> Shut down your computer &
> unplug your modem from the outlet
>
> 2.
>
> Wait 10 seconds, then plug your modem back in
>
> 3.
>
> Wait 30 seconds, then turn your computer back on
>

> Before going through that process I ran the test at speedtest.net on two
> machines in the house:
>
> Machine Ping      Download     Upload
> Wife's Win97     17 ms     91.29 Mbps    6.1  Mbps
> My Ubuntu 14.04  20 ms    119.02 Mbps    6.18 Mbps
>
> I ran mine a second time and got
>
>                     9 ms    119.62 Mbps    9.19 Mbps
>

> So, without shutting anything down I get better than promised speed on
> my machine, and close to it on my wife's machine.
>
> Is there likely to be any change if I shut down my router, their cable
> modem, and start them back up?
>

> Maybe your router had already rebooted since the upgrades for other reasons
> and your tests are just showing the upgraded speeds?

It's a Buffalo WZR-600DHP running stock firmware. Does it reboot itself
without intervention from me?

I'm about to try Kieth's recommendation before shutting down for the
night -- which I usually don't do. But with the weather and potential
for losing power I'll have clean shutdowns if power goes off in the
middle of the night.

--
Regards,

Dick Steffens