[PLUG] My Firefox 50.1.0 hack

Tim Abraldes timabraldes at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 06:45:58 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 9:26 PM, Denis Heidtmann <denis.heidtmann at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Is there anybody here who is willing to explain (to a novice) how this is
> possible?  I too have encountered a similar behavior, but was fortunate
> enough to not have any tabs I needed to save.  I believe when I had the
> problem I was running Chrome.

I'm not a detective of any sort, but I know a little bit about web
development. Below is my analysis after looking at the source for the page
in the original post:
  The browser has a handful of window-modal dialogs that restrict you from
interacting with anything (e.g. other tabs) before you respond to the
dialog. One of them is window.confirm [1] which this page makes heavy use
of. They set up window.confirm calls to happen whenever the mouse moves
(per the mousemove event [3]) and also on a timer, using window.setInterval
[4]. They also use the beforeunload event [2] to try to stop you from
leaving the page or closing the tab.

[1] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/API/Window/confirm
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Events/beforeunload
[3] https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/Events/mousemove