[PLUG] What certifications to take?

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 20:48:27 UTC 2017

In my field service work, I have machines that have routers and switches on
them, and in many cases I end up working with the customer IT people to get
the things on line. Now I am back looking for a job again and many of them
indicate that IT certs are "good to have". Since I wrote that, I have
started on
the CompTIa A+, I am also aiming at the Networking one, and I think after
that
I will go for the Linux one. It looks like the A+ is pretty M$ heavy so I
guess I
am pretty well covered there for what I normally need to do ( the less the
be-
tter, but need to know it all to deal with the Microsoft virus).

Thank you for the observations, I went to the CompTIA site and see that
indeed
they appear to have a cert for most everything.

On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:17 PM, Mike C. <mconnors1 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > 'Folks,
> > I am being offered some grants to obtain certifications. I am a field
> > service person by job. I am looking at the different certifications for
> > networking
> > and IT, figured I would ask here what would be good for me to aim for.
> >
> > In the type of work I do, I deal with network issues, computer
> > configuration and communication with other networked devices (PLC's and
> > other devices).
> >
> > I see field service jobs that require certifications, so figured I would
> > ask what I should try to get first in order to have something that will
> > cover most
> > of what I do. Then if I need others perhaps I can obtain them later on.
> >
> > I have needed to obtain certification, but field service does not allow
> you
> > to set in one place long enough, I am between jobs so I have a chance to
> > do so and
> > it will be paid for by someone else.
> >

> I think a relavent question here is what kinda of work, problems, projects
> interest you?
>
> There are a plethora of certifications to choose from. Based on the
> desciription of the work you do, I can think of 3 of the top of my head
> that are applicable: A+, Network+, low voltage cabling. CompTIA is a good
> place to start, https://certification.comptia.org/certifications
>
> I got A+ certified in '99 and I'm thinking about going through it again as
> the hardware has evolved exponentially and is far more advanced and
> complicated these days.
>
> Also, Dell has completely taken over the server market and recently aquired
> EMC, the storage giant.
> http://www.dell.com/en-us/work/learn/dell-certification
>
> I hope that's helpful.
>
> Cheers,
>
> MIke

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.