[PLUG] What certifications to take?

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 18:48:54 UTC 2017

In my past case I worked in the glass container industry, base pay was not
too
bad, but the OT made it a gold mine, but I was working 12-16 hour days.

When I would apply to a place and they found out what I made while at Emhart
Glass they would back off. I would try to explain to them that was due to
great
amounts of OT and I almost killed myself in the process.

I would explain that I did not want to go down that route again and I
wanted to
do something that did not require me to take drugs to keep from going to
sleep
in order to get the job done. But all they could see was the 6 digit number
for
gross income for the years that I was at Emhart, they would not listen to
what
I would try to explain to demonstrate. That kept me out of the work force
for
far too long until a job came around that really did not care. They told
me, "we
pay X, is it acceptable?" I said yes and they hired me. No looking at past
salary,
nothing like that. It was a good job until the cost center was killed. Had
fun
building servers to store all of the food safety documents a food processor
has
to keep. They all kept them on paper in a room, we were offering to move
them
to a system that not only stored the documents but captured data off of the
line
sensors, the access was any web browser, so if you were out on a production
line and you thought you saw a HACCP violation you could log into the GMP
area and look at the rules regarding whatever was in question. I used a
wiki to
store the data, so each time there was a change to the data the old data was
kept as per Food and Drug requirements. It worked well, too bad the guy that
sold the stuff did not present a proper timeline to sell, but that is
another story.

Set those things up as VSphere VM's and the system took a image of the VM
in the wee hours of the morning, so if something went haywire we just went
to the previous day image and started from there. We let the local guys pick
through the bad image and get any data out of it they needed, if that was
pos-
sible. Usually the past day data was still on paper or available somewhere
refill the lost info. Used Turnkey Linux images with the wiki software in
them.
Worked great, just bad timing by the department manager.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 8:12 AM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein at madboa.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Jan 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 16 Jan 2017, Mike C. wrote:
> >
> >> I've also run into the over-qualified claim, but most often that
> >> was for perm/f-t positions. Currently, my interest lies more in
> >> Linux and privacy/security.
> >
> >   If someone tells you you're over-qualified for the position try
> > assuring them you'll under-perform. :-)
>
> Ha!
>
> The over-qualified message usually boils down to two concerns:
>
> 1. You'll be out the door soon. We have little to teach you, and
>     you're just in a holding pattern awaiting a position in line with
>     your experience.
>
> 2. You won't respect the chain of command here because you know (or
>     think you know) more than your manager or team lead.
>
> If people really want a position for which they're over-qualified,
> they need to address those two concerns. (If you don't really want it,
> but are just slumming until a real job comes along, well, my point is
> proven.)
>
> --
> Paul Heinlein <> heinlein at madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.