[PLUG] Towards a minimalist network

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Jan 20 16:10:21 UTC 2017

For the purposes of this thread "minimalist network" a collection
of exactly *three* physical objects -- specifically 2 computers
and 1 Cat6 patch cable.
For my reference implementation computers will be a Lenovo T43
and a Lenovo T430.
Neither computer will have WiFi &/or Bluetooth active.
The OS for the T430 will be Debian Jessie. Eventually I wish to
use WinXP on the T43. However for the purposes of this discussion
I have installed Debian Jessie to a bootable flash drive.

My reading so far indicates that my goal closely resembles PPPoE
or PPPoEoE.

My current reading list includes:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UUCP
http://tldp.org/LDP/nag/node5.html    "UUCP Networks"
http://tldp.org/LDP/nag/node6.html    "How to Use UUCP"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Layer_2.5
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-point_protocol_over_Ethernet
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDLC
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_network
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_LAN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

That list includes many links &/or references I've yet to explore.