[PLUG] (OT) Backup Software Suggestions

Mark Phillips mark at phillipsmarketing.biz
Thu Jan 26 17:03:49 UTC 2017

I am looking for a recommendation on backup software. I have a backup
server and I have two local machines and one remote machine to backup (all
Debian or Ubuntu - no Windows machines to worry about). The backup server
is just command line Debian - no gui - since I only use ssh to talk to it.
I have a new 4 TB drive ready for backups and don't know what to do with
it..;)

I used rsnapshot for awhile, but the backups had issues from time to time,
and I am tired of troubleshooting it. Also the reporting tool rsnapreport
didn't seem to work. With rsnapshot I was seeing ~ 1TB of backup data on my
backup drive.

I have use backuppc in the past, but it seems to be on the decline now and
has been for awhile.

I started using a cloud backup solution, altdrive, but they are closing
shop in February. Also, it was java based, and used a lot  of CPU to make
backups. It could be throttled, but then the backups took a really long
time (hours to days). Finally, I had great difficulty restoring from the
backups - I was told they were too big and the server kept timing out! So I
had to reconfigure all of my backups to smaller sets of directories.

So, any suggestions? Inexpensive cloud backup? Local backup? I have seen
recommendations for Borg for local backups over ssh and it has a web gui
front end which may be useful. I like that it is in Python (I can read it
as opposed to perl...). Other suggestions?

Thanks!

Mark