[PLUG] (OT) Backup Software Suggestions

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Jan 26 17:18:03 UTC 2017

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017, Mark Phillips wrote:

> So, any suggestions? Inexpensive cloud backup? Local backup? I have seen
> recommendations for Borg for local backups over ssh and it has a web gui
> front end which may be useful. I like that it is in Python (I can read it
> as opposed to perl...). Other suggestions?

Mark,

   I've been using dirvish <http://www.dirvish.org/> for several years and
like it. It's built on rsync and while setup can be confusing, once up and
running it just keeps on going. I've not done a full restore from it, but
have recovered files and directories without any issues.

   I make backups daily and keep them for only a few months. Keith keeps his
forever.

   Perhaps it will suit your needs, too.