[PLUG] Seeking opinion on new century link 1G install

RParr RParr at TemporalArts.com
Fri Jan 27 22:53:15 UTC 2017

Located in NE Portland.

I have a Century Link DSL business line (static IPs, etc.).  I've had this line
for over 10yrs.  It's dead slow and getting worse.  I also have a Comcast
business line.

I recently installed Century Link 1G fibre.  It's up.  It's working.  I have my
statics configured and working.  My hope is to have the fibre replace both the
DSL and the Comcast.

I am seeking the groups opinions as to if, and how best, to proceed before
switching my main connection to the 1G.

1) Speed is way better than my old line BUT it is not as fast as advertised.
Using a variety of speed tests I get...

Google test to Seattle server  42Mbs down / 194Mbs up / 5ms (several other speed
tests gave similar results)

Ookla test to Portland server  336Mbs down / 736Mbs up / 8ms

DSLReports test  310Mbs down / 799Mbs up / 45ms

Century Links own diagnostic speed test shows 200Mbs down / 660Mbs up

Both systems currently using the Century Link fibre line see ping latency of 6ms +/-

Both I and the installer were a little surprised at the down always being 1/4 to
1/2 the upload speed.  He said "give it a little time and it will get faster".

The upload seems great at (up to) 80% of advertised.  The upload seems to
indicate the line/equipment is capable.

Does anyone else here have Century Link fibre? What are you seeing?

Would you'all complain about the "slow" download or just shut up and "be happy"?

2)  My plan is to switch one of my current routers, a Netgear WDNR3700 running
OpenWRT, to be the router/firewall.

The Century Link fibre comes into a Calix router/modem then to a ZyXEL C1100Z
router.   The Calix is a black box which even the installer/techs can not access
(lack of access concerns me but different topic).  I am assuming it is
configured in bridge mode. Century Link insists the ZyXEL has to be "in the
chain" so they can enter the account username/password.  I can put the ZyXEL in
bridge mode and connect it to my OpenWRT router.

My concern is starting out with 3 routers in a chain with 2 of them in bridge
mode.  Is this a practical performance problem or just a theoretical problem?

Thanks for you help
R.Parr, RHCE, Temporal Arts, Portland, OR