[PLUG] Choosing a USB headset mounted microphone - was [Current state of Linux voice recognition]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Sat Jul 8 16:48:54 UTC 2017

On 06/28/2017 08:52 AM, Richard Owlett wrote:
> [snip]
> I'm already investigating good microphones with good A/D resolution
> and preferably a high sample rate [I've ideas on pre-processing I
> would like to experiment with].

There are conflicts between what I want, what is available, and what
current speech recognition software expects as input.

My current specifications:
1. headset mounted for consistent microphone placement
   [non-negotiable].
2. earphone(s) not required.
3. USB output - 16 bit resolution
                 20 kHz high frequency response
                 48 kHz sample rate
   [That exceeds input specification of most voice recognition software.
    I expect to filter and re-sample appropriately. Those specifications
    also meet requirements of another project.]
4. available Linux software to save as a WAV format file.
    I've found many products specifying Windows and Apple compatibility.
    They have bundled software which I have no use for and there is no
    indication if the microphone can be used with other software.
5. expected price ~$30 - $50

I know such product are available. Finding a potential supplier who has
a website that gives the information in a usable format.

Suggestions?
TIA