[PLUG] Upgrading rooted Samsung Android phone

Chuck Hast wchast at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 01:42:37 UTC 2017

Alas, no Note 10.1 Wifi (2012) For some reason those of us who bought it
were abandoned by Samsung on that one as the last upgrade came out in
Jan 2013. These guys do not support it either. So bad because us poor
buggers
that bought the thing paid a king's ransom for it. It is still a great
unit, but needs
to be upgraded. I have been told that the device got "crunched" in the Apple
Samsung fight back about that time.

On Sat, Jul 8, 2017 at 6:27 PM, David Bridges <dbridges at austin.rr.com>
wrote:

> If you device is supported I think that LineageOS is a great option.
> You can see if your device is support at the following link.
>
> https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/
>
> By default the device is not rooted but it can be added although I
> personally do not have a need for it.
>
> The particular device you mentioned does appear to be supported and
> from looking over the information at the following page for the Galaxy
> Note 3 (T-Mobile)(hltetmo) the installation of 14.1 (based on Nougat)
> should be fairly straightforward.
>
> https://wiki.lineageos.org/devices/hltetmo
>
> --
> David
>
> On Fri, 2017-07-07 at 21:03 -0700, John Jason Jordan wrote:
> > If you're rooted you can't do it in the usual way (over the air) - if
> > you go into System Settings > General > About Device > Software
> > Update
> > you get "Your device has been modified, software updates are not
> > available,"
> >
> > According to internet advice you can upgrade a rooted Android phone
> > with Kies, a Samsung app normally used to sync your phone with your
> > computer. Unfortunately, you must install Kies on a Windows or a Mac
> > computer. Just as well - the last thing I'd ever want to do is sync
> > my
> > phone with my computer.
> >
> > My phone is a T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (now KitKat 4.4.2),
> > which
> > I have loved since I got it three or four years ago. I paid someone
> > $10
> > to root it for me because I couldn't figure out how to do it myself.
> > Being rooted is great - for example, I uninstalled the texting app so
> > can no longer receive the spam text messages from the carrier (now
> > Metro
> > PCS).
> >
> > If anyone knows how to upgrade a rooted KitKat phone to Lollipop or
> > later, I'm all ears. And if no one here knows, maybe this could be
> > addressed at the next Clinic.

Chuck Hast  -- KP4DJT --
Glass, five thousand years of history and getting better.
The only container material that the USDA gives blanket approval on.