[PLUG] Open Source Licenses

Brian P. Martin plugng3 at martinconsulting.com
Wed Jul 19 23:07:11 UTC 2017

I think this is going to be the beginning of a long thread -- or else
I'll get crickets.

I have some BASH scripts, PERL scripts, PERL modules, sample
configuration files, etc. that I want to publish.   I know that there
are those are on the list that have studied open source software
licenses a lot more than I have.  I'd like to get some help narrowing
down the licenses I should consider.  Here are my requirements:

- Anyone should be able to have free, unrestricted use to the material
for their own internal use, be those private or commercial.
- No one should be able restrict others from using it.  That is, they
can't copyright or otherwise legally try to control it themselves.
- I don't care if someone sells a work that includes my code (e.g. they
build and sell file servers, and use my code inside as part of the
larger operation).
- I would prefer that people can't sell my code as-is, or with trivial
modifications, but that may be splitting things too fine.
- I'm not terribly concerned about attribution, except perhaps for the
benefits of preventing people from selling the material when it is
already available for free.

There are probably other scenarios I haven't considered, and I'd be
interested in being enlightened on those topics, too. Currently I'm
leaning towards the 3-clause BSD license, but I'd like the input of
people that know more about the topic.

                       -B.

--
Brian P. Martin, Chief Consultant