[PLUG] Diagnosing USB connection problem [FIXED]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Jun 2 22:55:39 UTC 2017

On Fri, 2 Jun 2017, Rich Shepard wrote:

> Today I am not able to sync my Treo 700p with jpilot on the desktop. It
> last worked fine on May 26th (a week ago), and has worked for years. Jpilot
> is set up to use tty/USB1 and it does not matter into which USB port on the
> desktop the cable is plugged.

Ali, Bill, et al.:

   Well, this was a learning experience. I must have inadvertently did
something that caused the phone to display the Verizon alert: a flashing
yellow bell at the top left of the screen. In the 16 years I've been using a
Treo 700p I've not seen, or not noticed, this alert icon. But, when it's
displaying it does strange things; specifically, I could not change the
volume during a call I made this morning, and I could not sync to jpilot on
the desktop.

   When I noticed the flashing yellow bell I did a web search and learned
that it's supposed to indicate new voice mail, e-mail, or text message. None
of those apply to my phone. So I shrugged and did a soft reset. That fixed
the problem.

   I guess I had too much planned for today so the phone decided to distract
me.

Carpe weekend,