[PLUG] Any Z915 users out there? - was [Re: Problem using a T-mobile Z915 Hotspot on a Linux machine]

Richard Owlett rowlett at cloud85.net
Fri Jun 16 00:25:48 UTC 2017

On 06/15/2017 06:27 PM, wes wrote:

>> If I enter the numeric IP # referenced in resolv.conf into the browser's
>> address bar I see the screen used to access the setup of the Z915
>

> from this, I conclude that the Z915 is instructing its connected
> clients to pass DNS requests through itself. it probably runs a cache
> to reduce load on t-mobile's DNS servers. if you wanted, you could
> alter the Z915's config to use different DNS servers itself, rather
> than overriding them at the client level. your preference.

That would be my first choice. The Z915's user interface gives no hint
of a settable DNS IP. My web search turned up nothing. That's what makes
me suspicious of "bad things" happening if I attempt to avoid their in
house DNS.

I was hoping I'd see a reply from a Z915 user.

>> 1. Would using a "foreign" DNS cause me problems with T-mobile?
>>

> no.
>
> 2. Without a numeric IP in resolv.conf, how would my OS know how/where
>> to access the Z915?
>>

> define "access"

Something somewhere that tells the OS exists and where/how connected.
I fondly remember simplicity of an acoustic coupler. IIRC I once used
one not even RS232 but a 20 mA current loop.
I remember 12AX7's and 026's <grin>