[PLUG] Nautilus problem with Windows share.

Michael Christopher Robinson michael at robinson-west.com
Sat Jun 17 08:43:41 UTC 2017

I need to connect to a FreeNAS 11 exported Windows share as a
different user than my Linux user.  My Linux user is Michael,
the share owner is Andy.  Nautilus doesn't seem to allow
connecting to a cifs share as a different user than the login
user.  Is there a simple workaround for this problem?  Every
attempt to connect to a share by nautilus or even Windows 10
for that matter should require a username, workgroup name, and
password.  I want to explicitly force logging in to connect to
a share.  I want to block anonymous and other users who don't
own a share from even seeing that share let alone copying the
contents.

The FreeNAS documentation suggests that not checking browseable
offers very little security.  If you aren't Andy, you shouldn't
be able to read let alone see Andy_Backup.  Maybe implementing
that isn't possible.  Someone else's backup is none of my
business where restoring it on my computer is potentially
illegal as well as a privacy issue.

Note that I don't know what active directory is and I'm doing
NT4 on the FreeNAS 11 server.  There isn't a domain controller
nor is the FreeNAS box a domain master.  The passwords and
usernames are easily going to be different on the Windows or
Linux box than the FreeNAS 11 box.  Nautilus is problematic
because it doesn't allow connecting to a share as someone
else or with a different password.

I don't want a central authentication scheme for Windows where
failure of the authentication server translates to not being
able to use your own laptop or desktop machine.  For this
reason and because of my limited knowledge, I'm leery of
implementing openldap or any other central authentication
scheme.

If only someone would implement a Windows, Linux, and Mac
OS-X compatible alternative to CIFS that is secure.  Seems
like Novell Netware was better back in the day, not sure
about now with Novell abandoning IPX/SPX in favor of
TCP/IP.