[PLUG] Nautilus problem with Windows share.

King Beowulf kingbeowulf at gmail.com
Sat Jun 17 19:56:04 UTC 2017

On 06/17/2017 01:43 AM, Michael Christopher Robinson wrote:
> I need to connect to a FreeNAS 11 exported Windows share as a
> different user than my Linux user.  My Linux user is Michael,
> the share owner is Andy.  Nautilus doesn't seem to allow
> connecting to a cifs share as a different user than the login
> user.  Is there a simple workaround for this problem?  Every
> attempt to connect to a share by nautilus or even Windows 10
> for that matter should require a username, workgroup name, and
> password.  I want to explicitly force logging in to connect to
> a share.  I want to block anonymous and other users who don't
> own a share from even seeing that share let alone copying the
> contents.

Did you peruse the SAMBA wiki user documentation?

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

When people set up a "black box" and talk cifs shares, they tend to
forget that is done via the SAMBA software project on Linux/Unix. The
"black box" configuration web GUI may miss a few features. It been a
while since I've bothered, since I no longer have a mixed OS collection
here - everything is Linux/Unix and thus I've switched to NFS.

SAMBA allows fine grained user authentication via all the standard and
non-standard MS Windows protocols.  You can simple set up public and
private shares via a variety of authentication schemes.

Typically the SAMBA configuration file is in /etc/samba

For example /etc/samba/smb.cnf could contain, along with appropreaite
server parameters, something like:

# A publicly accessible directory, read/write to all users. Note that
all files
# created in the directory by users will be owned by the default user, so
# any user with access can delete any other user's files. Obviously this
# directory must be writable by the default user. Another user could of
course
# be specified, in which case all files would be owned by that user instead.
[public]
   path = /usr/somewhere/else/public
   public = yes
   only guest = yes
   writable = yes
   printable = no

# The following two entries demonstrate how to share a directory so that two
# users can place files there that will be owned by the specific users.
In this
# setup, the directory should be writable by both users and should have the
# sticky bit set on it to prevent abuse. Obviously this could be extended to
# as many users as required.
[myshare]
   comment = Mary's and Fred's stuff
   path = /usr/somewhere/shared