[PLUG] Dell Latitide BIOS upgrades

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 19 16:21:35 UTC 2017

   Thanks to Ed and Wes at yesterday's clinic we eliminated all OS and
software issues with the Dell Latitude 2100 not booting of the SSD, but
running Slackware-14.2 after booting from the distribution DVD.

   This morning I downloaded the latest Dell Latitude BIOSes for the 2100 and
the E5410 (from A03 to A06 for the 2100 and from A11 to A16 for the E5410).

   Once upon a time I had a 128M thumb drive with a version of DOS on it
which upgraded the E5410's BIOS. I cannot find that flash drive now and need
to make another one. I assume that FreeDOS will work (haven't used it
before) and I assume that I need some sort of tool to actually perform the
upgrades.

   I'd appreciate suggestions and advice based on your experiences upgrading
linux systems using windows BIOSes.