[PLUG] Dell Latitide BIOS upgrades [UPDATED]

wes plug at the-wes.com
Mon Jun 19 17:35:41 UTC 2017

On Mon, Jun 19, 2017 at 10:20 AM, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Jun 2017, wes wrote:
>
> >> AFUWIN.EXE*   E5410A16.exe*
> >> BOOTLOG.TXT*  M2100A06.exe*
>
> > copy E5410A16.exe and M2100A06.exe to the flash drive.
>
> Wes,
>
>    Done.
>
> > ... then, boot to the flash drive. then, execute the exe which matches
> >  the model number of the system you're working on currently.
>
>    If I understand correctly, I need to change the BIOS setting so the USB
> flash drive is the first to be seen as bootable. Correct? After the upgrade
> I return the cdrom drive to boot first in the BIOS settings.

that's one way to do it. another would be to use the key which prompts the
BIOS to ask you which device to boot from. on dells, this is usually f11 or
f12.

>    BTW, the Dell tech with whom I spoke didn't answer my question whether
> the
> new BIOS version (A06) supports booting from the SSD. Time will tell.

I suspect this issue is not so straightforward that anyone we could talk to
would have the answer. there is no special support a BIOS must have in
order to boot from an SSD. SSDs aren't terribly different from other drives
as far as the BIOS is concerned. something deep behind the scenes is at
play here. if a BIOS update fixes it, it will be because it included a fix
for some other thing which happened to also fix this issue. this happens
far more often than I like to think about.

-wes