[PLUG] Dell Latitude 2100 booting issue [FIXED!!]

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Jun 19 20:27:19 UTC 2017

   Please excuse my shouting in the subject line, but the problems booting
Slackware-14.2/x86_i586 from the internal SSD on the Dell Latitude 2100 have
been resolved. Yay!!

   The original BIOS version (A03) was from 2010. The latest version, A06,
allowed the system to boot from the internal drive. This upgrade was the
main issue.

   But it still would not boot into the small, generic-smp kernel because no
modules were loaded; it booted into the huge-smp kernel which includes
the modules. This allowed me to recognize that I erred in making the initial
ram disk, and I admit that I must have specified the kernal as 4.4.14 rather
than 4.4.14-smp. Mea culpa (twice).

   Re-running mkinitrd specifying -k 4.4.14-smp fixed this issue.

   So, now, after months of perplexing me and Ed, I have a running small
portable and will be able to finish configuring it. Whew!

   Thanks for the patient help from folks here.