[PLUG] ssh vs vpn

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.net
Sun Jun 25 22:39:28 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jun 21, 2017 at 05:30:54PM -0700, wes wrote:
> the patience is needed because there isn't a way (that I'm aware of) to
> forward multiple ports at once, as is the default with vpn software.
> additionally, one needs to alter the way their local client software
> connects to get it to use the ssh tunnel, whereas that can be handled
> automagically with a proper vpn in place.

The OpenSSH client has a SOCKS proxy option that works as expected.

  ssh -D 12345 username at remote_host

Adjust your browser (or whatever) to make use of the SOCKS proxy now
listening at localhost:12345.  No need to setup a new tunnel for each
protocol you wish to secure, nor is there a need for a proxy server on
the remote host.

"man ssh" for details.

--
Paul Mullen